1. Vocabulary: eklego - to choose out, gather out or elect.
2. 1 Peter 1:1b-2; Who are
chosen according to the foreknowledge of
God the Father.
1) God's election was not arbitrary, but "according to”
the omniscient foreknowledge of God the Father. 2) Election is used by
Peter as an encouragement to live the Christian way of life. (1:2b-9). 3)
Election took into account human volitional choices, according to the
context of 1:5, 7-9. 4) Election is a concept that relates to the Christian's
security and eternal reward (1:4-5, 7b, 9).
3. Titus 1:1; for the faith of those chosen of God.
1) God's choosing included human volitional
responsibility ("faith" in 1:1, 4). 2) God's choosing included the giving of
the Gospel (1:3b). Compare: 1 Thess. 1:3-5 and 2 Tim. 2:10.
4. Ephesians 1:4a; He chose
us in Him before the foundation of the
1) God's choosing is an encouragement to live the
Christian Way of Life (Ephesians 1:4a cp. with 1:4b). 2) The choosing
of God was carefully planned: "before the foundation of the world"
(1:4a), "predestined" (1:5a), "will" (1:5b, 9a, 11 ). 3) According to the
context of 1:13 & 15, election included human volitional choices.
5. Colossians 3:12; Chosen of God, change heart...
1) God's choosing places the human into the status of
"holy and beloved" (3:12a). 2) God's choosing is used by Paul to make
volitional appeal to live the Christian Way of Life (3:12b). Note the
volitional appeal in Colossians 3:1-17.
6. Romans 8:33; Who will bring
a charge against God's elect? God is the
one who justifies.
1) Romans 8 is a message of encouragement (vv. 28, 31,
37). 2) Elect = justification in God's eyes. 3) Election follows the
foreknowledge, predestination and calling of vv. 29-30.
7. Romans 9:11; God's purpose
according to His choice might stand, not
because of works but because of Him who calls.
1) God's calling (v. 11 b) is not arbitrary, but is guided by
His purpose and choice (v. 11 b). 2) God's calling and human works for
righteousness are opposites. 3) God's calling includes human volitional
responsibility. See the conclusion of 9:30-33. Compare the "called and
chosen and faithful" in Revelation 17:14.
8. Election summary: Election
is the climax of God's carefully planned
eternity past salvation activity: Election follows God's foreknowledge,
predestination and calling. Election takes into account human volitional
responsibility regarding: Gospel, faith and Christian Way of Life. Election
concerns Christian encouragement, security and reward.