Biblical Concept: God, Essence of
Prologue: (Majestic, glorious, holy God.)
• Holy God above all qualities. Example: righteousness demonstrates God’s holiness - Isaiah 5:16. Holy Spirit is the chosen name and reality.
1. Sovereign (self-sufficient) - Daniel 4:35.
2. Righteous (good) - Psalm 145:17.
3. Just (fair) - Deuteronomy 32:4.
4. Love (seeks best) - 1 John 4:8-10.
5. Eternal Life - 1 Timothy 6:16.
6. Omniscient (knows all) - 1 John 3:20 and Psalm 147:4-5.
7. Omnipotent (all powerful) - Psalm 135:6 and Isaiah 43:13.
8. Omnipresent (everywhere) - Psalm 139:7-12.
9. Immutable (no change) - James 1:17.
10. Veracity (truth) - Psalm 33:4 and 117:2.
11. Emotions and attitudes:
a. Humor - Psalm 2:4.
b. Anger - Psalm 2:5.
c. Compassion – Exodus 34:6, Jonah 4:11, 2 Chronicles. 36:15-16, Ezekiel 18:21-23, and 32.
d. Grace and mercy are part of God’s general attitudes - 2 John 1:3 Grace, mercy and peace will be with us, from God the Father and from Jesus Christ, the Son
of the Father, in truth and love. (Note the omission of the Holy Spirit.)
e. Excellence - 2 Peter 1:3.
f. Jealous - Exodus 34:14.
g. Worship desire - John 4:23.
h. Desire to be feared - Revelation 14:7.
i. Wrath - John 3:36.
j. Care - 1 Peter 5:7.
k. Kind - Psalm 145:17.
12. Personality: When the three members of the Biblical God chose to act toward humanity as Father, Son, and Spirit; perhaps they acted according to their individual
personalities? The Father took the role of planner because that is what He is like personally. The Son took the role of becoming manifest to humanity because
that is what He is like personally. The Spirit empowers/sanctifies because that best fits His personal desire. (See: NAS 1 Peter 1:2 according to the foreknowledge
of God the Father, by the sanctifying work of the Spirit, that you may obey Jesus Christ and be sprinkled with His blood: May grace and peace be yours in fullest
13. Imagination: Exhibited by the unlimited diversity of the four dimensional universe and the spiritual universe. (Part of omniscience? Sure, but imagination as a
working part of omniscience more than deserves special attention. How about this: Imagination is more than just omniscience.)
14. Conclusions: The God of the Bible has perfect Personal balance. We must also think of Him with balance. God is "love" and "just" at the same time. We humans
cannot trick, manipulate, or rationalize the God of the Bible--though we try. The essence characteristics of God can be summarized with the words: God’s majestic
NAS John 17:1 These things Jesus spoke; and lifting up His eyes to heaven, He said, "Father, the hour has come; glorify Thy Son, that the Son may glorify Thee, 2 even as Thou gavest Him authority over all mankind, that to all whom Thou hast given Him, He may give eternal life. 3 "And this is eternal life, that they may know Thee, the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom Thou hast sent. 4 "I glorified Thee on the earth, having accomplished the work which Thou hast given Me to do. 5 "And now, glorify Thou Me together with Thyself, Father, with the glory which I had with Thee before the world was.
NAS Psalm 11:5 The LORD tests the righteous and the wicked, And the one who loves violence His soul hates.
 Speculations: How does an Omniscient God enjoy interacting with volitional creatures, knowing their every future action? Solution: In eternity future, with only objective faithful sinless volitions, perhaps God veils His deity and enjoys the spontaneous imaginative freewill interaction with multitudes of volitions? Perhaps this will be one of the future functions of the God-man Jesus Christ, to facilitate enjoyment in God’s moment by moment interaction? Perhaps God’s omniscience does not preclude His ability to enjoy the moment? Example: Proverbs 5:21 21 For the ways of a man are before the eyes of the LORD, And He watches all his paths. Also, Proverbs 15:3 3 The eyes of the LORD are in every place, Watching the evil and the good. Note Psalm 37:23b. If “He” is God, then: “He delights in his way.” Also: Genesis 2:15, Then the LORD God took the man and put him into the garden of Eden to cultivate it and keep it. Genesis 2:19, And out of the ground the LORD God formed every beast of the field and every bird of the sky, and brought them to the man to see what he would call them; and whatever the man called a living creature, that was its name. See God saw in Genesis 1:4,10,12,18,21 and 25. In Genesis 5:22-24 22 Then Enoch walked with God three hundred years after he became the father of Methuselah, and he had other sons and daughters. 23 So all the days of Enoch were three hundred and sixty-five years. 24 And Enoch walked with God; and he was not, for God took him. Another example: God’s Counsel in eternity past suggests a linear aspect to God. As with any volitional being, the process of thinking is linear—humans live in an approximate three second window of thought, for example. Omniscient but linear might be an important way to understand God’s Omniscience? Another way to say it is: The God of the Bible exists in at least 14 different dimensions and one of the dimensions includes four dimensional linear reality.